Monday, February 6, 2012

Some of those lights were really cool. They remind me of a restaurant in Philly that has curved, backlit walls. I'll post a picture if i can find it.

I decided to write about the pattern project we did first and obviously, for the first week we were just learning a lot about the basics which can be applied to any product or design. But the one thing we learned that fascinated me the most was the mirror tool because it created a pattern that I never anticipated out of just random lines that I had drawn. A company that uses a similar mirroring technique is called Robert Kaufman Fabrics. It’s a fabric company that specializes in quilts and quilting patterns. The company has artists who devote collections that look as if they could’ve been made in AutoCAD.











The patterns are surprisingly geometric and symmetrical and it brings up the idea of using AutoCAD and it’s fairly new technology for much older tasks. I wouldn’t have originally thought that a computer program could be used to design quilt patterns. But after doing the pattern project, I can see how the computer can be useful for creating a pattern that even the designer didn’t expect in the beginning. I’m not saying that I think the class should make a quilt, although that could be one interesting quilt, but I would like to explore the idea of using the program for older, more traditionally hands on projects, that we might not of thought of before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment